Henry hates the world.
81) 77 Dream Songs is the fourt volume of Berryman 's
Henri Cole, in his introduction, aptly puts the Dream Songs into perspective ... There is no poet who sounds like John Berryman in his 77 Dream Songs.
In 1965, when he was fifty, he received the Pulitzer Prize in oetry for this daring sequence, and just seven years later, in inneapolis, he jumped to his death from the Washington Avenue Bridge onto the ice of the Missouri River ... .The Dream Songs adhere to the same structure: three stanzas containing six lines each, totaling eighteen lines.
Berryman 's decision to deviate is unclear, but may be explained in the fourth volume of the Dream Songs,
I don ’ t see how Henry, pried open for all the world to see, survived.
austere a sea rectangular of sand by the oiled mud wall, and the sand is not quite white: granite sand, grey, —from nowhere can one see all the stones— but helicopters or a Brooklyn reproduction will fix that— and the fifteen changeless stones in their five worlds with a shelving of moving moss stand me the thought of the ancient maker priest.
80) The Dreams Songs contains a number of passage, literary and otherwise, that appeal as much to the time as to Berryman 's poetic sensibilities ... He wishing he could squirm again where Hootis just ahead of rustlers, where William Sforgoes some deep advantages,& moves on, where Hashknife Hartley having the matter tapedthe rats are flying.
14) flowed down along the cliffs to the Big Surwhere Henry Miller 's box is vomit-greenand Henry bathed in sulphurlovely, hot, over the sea, like SenatorCat, relaxed& sober, wateryas Tivoli, sir.
And the tranquil hills,& gin, look like a drag and somehow a dog has taken itself& its tail considerably away into mountains or sea or sky, leaving behind: me, wag.
27) For all it 's strengths, 77 Dreams Songs is undermined by the poe 's dedication " to the memory of Daddy Rice who sang and jumped 'Jim Crow' in Louisville in 1828 ".
I 'm confused by Berryman 's decision to align his Dream Songs with " Daddy Rice " ( a.k.a.
" the cousin of American minstrelsy ") at the height of the Civil Rights movement ( the remaining " Jim Crow laws " were overruled in 1964 and 1965, the year 77 Dream Songs was published and awarded the Pulitzer Prize, respectively).
4) Ol' Marster, being bound you do your bestversus we coons, spare now a cagey Johna whilom bits that whip: who 'll tell your fortune, when you have confessedwhose& whose woundings- against the innocent stars& remorseless seas-- Dream Song 51 ( pg.
55) I heard, could be, a Hey there from the wing, and I went on: Miss Bessie soundin good that one, that night of all, I feelin fair myself, taxes& things seem to be back in line, like everybody should and nobody in the rai on call so, as I say, the ouse is givin hell to Yellow Dog, I blowin like it too and Bessie always do when she make a very big sound-after, well, no sound- I see she totterin- I cross which stage even at Henry 's age in 2-3 seconds: then we wait and see.