2/18/2017 Update: Hoover responded via a Facebook video: https: //www.facebook.com/AuthorCollee ... The ebook and the next printing of November 9 ( if one will happen) will have a major edit to update the scene where Sa is touching Fallon without her consent.
• FURTHERMORE, ( I ’ ll stop using caps now bc I feel like I ’ m wearing it out but please do bear in mind that I ’ m furious) he literally says “ if we ’ re just going to sit here and stare at each other, it ’ d be nice if she were showing a little cleavage, instead of wearing this long-sleeved shirt that leaves everything to the min.
OH MY FUCKING GOD I WANT TO TEAR THIS BOOK APART• A few paragraphs later he starts looking at her scars and he ’ s like “ Are [ her breasts ] scarred, too?
• I ’ ve always gotten subtle homophobic vibes from Hoover ’ s book, but on page 28 MC says “ No gay man I know would have left the house looking like you do right now ” and just the outright stereotyping and trying to use that to be funny is just gross.
He begins to get all romantic and heavy and saying “ want to know what I was thinking about when I saw you for the fifth time? ” and we thought we were going to get a touching tory about looking past her scars at her beauty but nope.
• Ben basically navigates throughout this book doing whatever he wants without asking Fallon ’ s consent and then forcing her to do things because he thinks she ’ s uncomfortable for no reason.
• For instance, there ’ s this entire scene where Ben wants her to wear this really revealing dress and she doesn ’ t want to but he keeps pressuring her to and finally Fallon is about to have a panic attack and cry and she ’ s squeezing her eyes shut because Ben is running his hands along her shirt and unbuttoning it ( WHICH DEFINITELY MEANS FUCK OFF SHE DOESN ’ T ASK YOU TOUCHING HER FUCK YOU BEN FUCK YOU) and he finally takes off her hirt and looks her over and it ’ s so embarrasse and nonconsensual and totally inappropriate having only met a few ours ago.
then he taKES OFF HER CLOTHES AND DOES THE SAME THEN TELLS HER TO LIFT HER ARMS AND PHYSICALLY PUTS THE RESS ON FOR HER and I just wanted her to literally slice him in half like I ’ m so done with him.
He is the opposite of romantic and if I were to ever encounter him in person I would literally stomp him like a roach.• May I just say that when he was telling her what dress to wear, he literally said “ I ’ m paying for dinner, so I get to choose what I stare at while we eat. ” Is that not a characteristic of an abusive boyfriend to be so controlling to force her to wear what he wants her to wear?
• Ben tells her, 3 hours into their riendship, I quote, “ It ’ s your own fault people feel uncomfortable looking at you. ” I can ’ t even make this up.
He tells her it ’ s her fault that she has burn scars, that they make her feel self-conscious, and the reaction people have to them.
If I didn ’ t already hate this character so much I would actually tear him to shreds with my bare hands.• You wan na know what the male gaze is?
It ’ s a male supposed-love-interest saying shit like “ There ’ s just enough showing at her neckline to keep me good and happy. ” Because women, their boobs, and their lowcut shirts exist to make men “ good and happy. ” Barf.
But she responds “ I don ’ t know. ” And he fuCKING KEEPS GOING.
BECAUSE YOU FUCKING KEPT GOING WHEN SHE DIDN ’ T CONSENT TO BEING TOUCHED MORE.
• They start outlining rules for what to do between the time that they ’ ll see each other again and whereas fallon ’ s are things like “ read these books and have fun, ” ben ’ s is literally, “ go on dates.
• She eventually reveals that her left breast was disfigured from the fire and in the las line of dialogue ben is like LET ME SEE IT I NEED TO SEE IT CONSIDER IT RESEARCH I WANT TO NOW.
It ’ s her number one insecurity and he ’ s such an entitled asshole that he ’ s like “ uhhuh cool but let me see it.
Because I ’ m curious. ” • Every sexual advance after that wasn ’ t because “ you ’ re beautiful I love you, ” it was, “ let me take off your clothes so I can see the scars you keep trying to hide. ” So disgusting.• I think the saddest thing is Fallon never stops Ben from doing anything.
She has so much internalized misogyny that she allows men to control her and tell her what to do and she contributes it to the alpha male personality in the romance books she reads.
I ’ m so, so upset for her that she can ’ t stick up for herself, and Ben disguises his exploitative, disgusting, and toxic obsession with her scars and undressing her as concern and love.
Such arrogant, obnoxious, entitled men.• After she loses her virginity to him, she literally describes it as she “ lost a part of [ her ] self to the person inside [ her ].
OH MY GOD THIS BOOK IS UNBEARABLE PLEASE MAKE IT END.• fuCKING GUESS WHAT IT GOT WORSE• the next orning she was like “ I got ta go ” and he literally said, I quote, “ I ’ ve never wanted to use physical force on a girl before, but I want to push her to the ground and hold her there until the cab drives away. ” He literally threatens physical violence on her.
• At this point I stopped taking notes because shit was happening every paragraph but here ’ s the rest of what I remember• SEVERAL times in this ook, Fallon tells Ben “ I need to leave ” and he either grabs her, stands in front of the door, or otherwise blocks her exit.
He walks all over her life and calls it “ alpha male ” romance.• Near the beginnin of the book Fallon ’ s out on a date with another guy and he shows up and is super manipulative pretending like he ’ s interviewing them for an article or some cra, but he ’ s actually just creeping on the guy she ’ s with because he hates how she ’ s moved on from him.
Hoover continually normalizes and REWARDS this behavior by making the main mal character perceive it as humor or protectiveness.• At one point she tells him “ I need to get back to my date ” and it says that he “ lean [ s ] closer and sandwich [ es ] her against the wall, ” then he says, “ Don ’ t be like that.
I TOLD MYSELF I WOULDN ’ T USE CAPS BUT IN A COLLEEN HOOVER BOOK THAT HAS A 4.45 RATING ON GOODREADS, THE MAIN CHARACTER TOLD THE LOVE INTEREST TO STOP DURING A HEAVY ROMANCE SCENE AND HE CONTINUED TO SHOVE HIS HAND UP HER SKIRT WHILE SAYING, “ ASK AGAIN. ” ( UPDATE 2/18/17: Hoover will be editing this out of the books.
By publishing this book, Hoover has said, “ it is somethin to allow en to get away with this behavior if he loves you.
If it was meant to be. ” • Fallon ’ s widower, who at the earl of the ook told her “ you ’ re too ugly for broadway, no one will hire you, your career is over, boys don ’ t love you, etc. ” is posed as “ misunderstood ” and someone who doesn ’ t know how to communicate.
I ’ m not shaming anyone who likes this book, but I can ’ t believe it has escaped notice of so many people.